BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 18, 2010

African Holocausts

Photograph by Sebastiao Salgado

I have grown up in the United States all my life and it seems that we live in a bubble.  It feels that sometimes our lives have so many problems that we feel are huge in comparison to everyone else.  At least I felt that way for a while.  Complications, trials, tragedy befall upon everyone. No one can escape it.  However, the atrocities during the Holocaust resonate in everyone's mind in America.  Little or no attention has been given to the multiple holocausts in Africa have been given the attention they deserve.  

In this photograph, a family is finally going home after yet another holocaust had occurred in Mozambique. Over a third of the population had fled due to multiple attacks inside their country (focus on refugees).  It amazes me that people on this continent keep surviving and pressing on.  I have grown to love these people. I had the opportunity to have a man from Ghana live in my house for a few months and those months made me feel grateful and humble for the life I have.  Mozambique finally attained peace in 1995. Over 1 million Mozambicans died during the time of trial.   

Works Cited



Salgado, Sebastiao. Photograph. Migrations: Humanity in Transition. Aperture. New York, 2000. 239. Print.

0 comments: